1.02.2013

hello to 2013


Happy New Year!

It's inevitable that the start of each new year begin with a little reflection... what do I want to accomplish/do/learn in the coming year? Blogland is abuzz with resolutions: Exercise! Travel! Learn a new language!

I've thought a lot about it over the last few days, and have tried to come to terms with what items I will actually be able to accomplish. So here's what I've come up with:

Make at least 2 new recipes a week
I'm kick-starting this resolution this week with these two recipes: Vegetable Lentil Shepard's Pie, and Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas. My friend Melissa is going to help me keep to this resolution as she is currently in the process of launching a pretty fantastic app called Five Plates. The app feeds 5 quick and seasonal dinner recipes to your phone and populates a grocery list to make market visits super easy. I've been beta testing the app for a few months and LOVE it. More information to come...

Carve out more “me” time: for yoga, reading, working on creative projects, and rebuilding my energy stores.

De-clutter: This includes regularly cleaning out closets and giving away or selling clothes I do not wear, dealing with piles of mail, cleaning out the refrigerator (my most hated household task), managing Stella's books and toys, recycling old magazines, etc. Part of this resolution is also being more thoughtful about what we bring home. Do we need five new books if collectively we've accumulated 15 books to read on our bedside tables? Does Stella need that adorable dress? Do we need more stuff? The answer is usually no.

Get into the garden: This resolution has been on every list since we bought our house 2.5 years ago. This summer we finally managed to get our act together and hire an architect to design and create a backyard space for us. Months later and our backyard is almost done, complete with a fire pit area, space for a vegetable plot, a patio for eating outdoors, and built-in herb and plant boxes. It's looking so amazing. All that we need to do now is put down dirt, plant, and get outside.

Travel to 2 new places: We inevitably travel to spots we love and where we have friends and family like Portland and New York. This year I want us to discover 2 new places. Want to join us?

What resolutions have you made for 2013?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woot! Woot! Five Plates!

Ana de Kreutz said...

Happy New Year Hannah! 2 resolutions: 1) Be more healthy, aka do more sport and eat healthier food, and 2) be a better friend, aka calling friends and replying emails more often! More than that I cannot promise.

Aralena said...

I, for one, cannot wait to see the end result of your backyard! It's going to be such a happy place to hang.

Hannah said...

Melissa, woot.

Ana, I like those resolutions. I feel like those are ones to keep always.

Aralena, I also can't wait for you to see it! And join us for a lazy summer meal, surrounded by green, listening to the sounds of the creek, and eating good food. Come back and visit!