The countdown has begun. The countdown to my official last day working at Chronicle Books: this Friday. And the countdown to December 1: my due date.
I am looking forward to falling asleep on Sunday night with the knowledge that I won't have to head into the office Monday morning. It's both incredibly freeing, and slightly terrifying. I've thought many times in the last few months about what I will "do" with myself after I've stopped working, and before Stella arrives. Work has, for so many years, provided structure in my week, given me purpose and a place to be every day. Without it, I'm a little afraid I'll feel lost and simply adrift in the world. But at the same time, I'm thrilled at the endless open time ahead of me.
When overwhelmed I make a plan. I'm really good at making a plan. Usually "a plan" involves a list. A list creates structure, and allows me to visualize a series of goals (big and small). So, in an attempt to wrap my head around the unlimited time (ok, I know there won't be unlimited free time with a new baby, but...) I'm facing, here's a list that will grow and change, of a few things I want to do before and after Stella arrives:
- Finish organizing Stella's room
- Create a relaxing playlist for the labor
- Pack bag for the hospital
- Do yoga every day
- Get back to reading 3+ books a week
- Blog more
- Hang all of the pictures that have been stacked in a pile on our fireplace since we moved into our house in June
- Roast a chicken in our new stove in our new kitchen (remodel soon to be complete!)
- Bake bread (and muffins, and banana bread, and cookies...)
- Learn to make jam
- Pickle some things
- Create a vegetable garden
- Start sewing again
- Start knitting again
- Send handwritten letters to friends
- Play more backgammon with Jordan and my Dad
- Spend hours in the kitchen cooking with my mom
- Take daily walks on the trail behind our house
- Visit with friends
- Spend lots of time with my cousin Bree, her baby Tomás (just born yesterday!), and my favorite little sassy pants, her 2-year-old, Viviana
- Travel with Jordan for his work (with Stella in tow)
- Try to relax. And enjoy the adventure.
What would you do with more time?
[beautiful wooden clock can be found at General Store]